Friday, March 26, 2010

The Sore Losers of American Politics

In the world of youth sport, we teach children that they should retain their dignity after a loss. In fact, after a youth soccer game it is common for the two teams to go through a hand-shake ritual, with the winners and losers congratulating each other. I thought about this as I watched the political theater the GOP engage in this past week in the aftermath of passage of the big health insurance reform bill. The cheerleaders for the losing team (Palin, everyone on Fox News, Cheney, Romney, Rove, et. al) shrieked that the winning team was unfair to their team. Their team leaders (the legislative MINORITY leaders and the 2008 GOP presidential candidate) wowed that they would never again play against the winning team. They even exhorted their fans to engage in violence against the winning team. It makes me wonder if any of these people know anything about sportsmanship.

Leave it my favorite economist to provide some clarity.

2 comments:

  1. not "wowed that they would never again play..."; should have typed "vowed" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waah, they got their health insurance bill passed..waah. Grand Old Pussies if you ask me. The behavior of the conservative right these past couple of weeks is appalling and frightening. I fear for the safety of Barry, I really do.

    ReplyDelete